Monday, May 4, 2009

The Nerve!


As you know, I have four teenagers living under my roof. Two of them are graduating from high school this month. The cost of graduating a child from high school can be measured in the thousands of dollars: books, school fees, homecoming, prom, spring break trips, multiple ACT tests, college application fees, senior pictures, graduation parties, graduation gifts, college orientation fees, etc. It all adds up, and for our family, this cost is doubled.

So, needless to say, I was shocked, angered, and overwhelmed with destructive thoughts when I saw this sign at a local car dealership last night. The nerve! How many parents who are fighting off the entitled requests of their high school graduates for a car have driven by this sign with their teen only to be attacked again with renewed vigor?

"See dad! Not only do ALL my friends have a car, but I deserve one! And look...I'm not the only one who thinks so!"

I know this dealership thinks this is a funny and creative sign, but it's obvious that the people responsible for it don't have teenagers. If they did, the sign would read: "Parents, don't you deserve a car for raising your teenager? Come on in for a GREAT deal!"

3 comments:

Andy Othling said...

I had my own car when I was a junior in high school... but only because my grandparents gave my dad a nice truck and I got the old one. Plus, there was big incentive for them because it meant I could drive my sister around to her various events... :)

Shaila said...

Don't even get me started about entitlement and high school kids. That is a really inappropriate sign anytime, but especially in an economy in which parents are struggling to pay bills, let alone buy cars. I didn't have my own car until I bought it all by myself 6months after my college graduation. Until then, I had to (gasp!) take public transportation!

Darcy said...

You know, I was thinking about your comment about how the girls think riding the bus here in town is vile and horrible. In Europe - that is the only way to get around is via public transit in big towns. We rode the bus everywhere (or walked) in Edinburgh. It just makes sense. Maybe the girls need to see a town where public transit works and works well? (I'm not suggesting Europe though - that would be worse than 'buy me a car!') Then, they can get the beauty of it. And if not...tell them to come talk to me. I'll tell what a witch parking at UNM can be: parking permit $100, fines if park in the wrong place $75, late for class because you can't get a space - all the time, etc.